Bookstores [Was: Re: Going OT [Was: Re: Replacing PBXes with Open Source]]

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Aug 31 09:56:01 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:51:34 -0400
Michael Costolo <michael.costolo at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're almost describing the handheld platform.  For which there
> exists ebook reader software.  Which, to the best of my understanding,
> hasn't been all that  impressive sales-wise (ebooks on handhelds, that
> is).
Yes, but in the context where the screen is about the size of a book
page. Actually, what I would really like is a handheld/wearable/notebook
computer where I could conveniently sit down in a couch, under the
proverbial elm tree, et. al. and comfortably read like I would read a
book. Currently, handhelds are too small, but are powerful enough, and
notebooks are too big. One of the solutions is for glasses, such as
Micro Optical's glasses
(http://www.microopticalcorp.com/Products/HomePage.html)
with a reasonably high resolution, 800x600 or better.

But, the other device I envisioned is essentially a handheld with a
larger display so that the user can view an entire page, but the device
would weigh a few ounces. It is bigger than a handheld, smaller than a
notebook, and could be set up as a single-purpose device.

But, who knows where our technology will lead us. I have long felt that
the glasses could replace the CRTs in many business situations. Take a
case of a bank clerk at a desk. The clerk must look around the monitor
to talk to you. With glasses rather than the monitor, the clerk could
wear the display, and hold a conversation with you.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group