Bookstores [Was: Re: Going OT [Was: Re: Replacing PBXes with Open Source]]

Michael Costolo michael.costolo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 10:17:01 EDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:46:23 -0400, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> Yes, but in the context where the screen is about the size of a book
> page. Actually, what I would really like is a handheld/wearable/notebook
> computer where I could conveniently sit down in a couch, under the
> proverbial elm tree, et. al. and comfortably read like I would read a
> book. Currently, handhelds are too small, but are powerful enough, and
> notebooks are too big.

How about the so-called tablet pc:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/

One of the solutions is for glasses, such as
> Micro Optical's glasses
> (http://www.microopticalcorp.com/Products/HomePage.html)
> with a reasonably high resolution, 800x600 or better.

Very interesting.  Something like that *could* be revolutionary if done right.

> But, the other device I envisioned is essentially a handheld with a
> larger display so that the user can view an entire page, but the device
> would weigh a few ounces. It is bigger than a handheld, smaller than a
> notebook, and could be set up as a single-purpose device.

I'm not sure if this tablet pc thing fits the bill.  To get the weight
down, you'll probably have to wait until the flexible screen display
is "perfected."  Glass is too heavy.

> But, who knows where our technology will lead us. I have long felt that
> the glasses could replace the CRTs in many business situations. Take a
> case of a bank clerk at a desk. The clerk must look around the monitor
> to talk to you. With glasses rather than the monitor, the clerk could
> wear the display, and hold a conversation with you.

Reminds me of the commercial (IBM?) where the guy is outside by the
water fountain trading stocks with such a device.  Potentially neat
stuff.

-Mike-

--
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by
those who have not got it."