unformat??

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sat Dec 4 19:23:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 09:56, Mark Komarinski wrote:
> >   There are two kinds of people in the IT world: Those who make backup
> > copies, and those who will wish they had.
>
> The third is those who have a potential (key word) data crash, panic,
> discover they didn't really lose the 30G of legally ripped MP3s, then
> create a two-level backup policy to make sure they don't have to sit in front
> of their PC to re-rip 200 CDs.
>
> Oh yea, and the 2G of digital camera shots that are really irreplaceable.
>
> That reminds me.  Time to do a backup.

There was a big gag about "Write-Only Memory" some (many) years back.
Now there's a backup solution for you. And I have 200 EB of Write-Only
Memory I can sell to you *real cheap*.

What, you want to be able to *recover* too? Ah, don't bother me with
details!

I have some old backups onto tape cartridges (Travan) that I can no
longer retrieve. I no longer have the software I used for the backup,
which used some proprietary format. Nevermind that, the tape themselves
have so many dropouts as to be useless anyway. Nevermind that, I forgot
where I hid the tapes. Yep, I lost the backups. Oh well... Write-Only
Memory is sooo wonderful.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing