unformat??

Jared Watkins jared at watkins.net
Sat Dec 4 21:47:00 EST 2004

Fred wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 09:56, Mark Komarinski wrote:
>

>>>  There are two kinds of people in the IT world: Those who make backup
>>>copies, and those who will wish they had.
>>>

>>The third is those who have a potential (key word) data crash, panic,
>>discover they didn't really lose the 30G of legally ripped MP3s, then
>>create a two-level backup policy to make sure they don't have to sit in front
>>of their PC to re-rip 200 CDs.
>>
>>Oh yea, and the 2G of digital camera shots that are really irreplaceable.
>>
>>That reminds me.  Time to do a backup.
>>

>There was a big gag about "Write-Only Memory" some (many) years back.
>Now there's a backup solution for you. And I have 200 EB of Write-Only
>Memory I can sell to you *real cheap*.
>
>What, you want to be able to *recover* too? Ah, don't bother me with
>details!
>
>I have some old backups onto tape cartridges (Travan) that I can no
>longer retrieve. I no longer have the software I used for the backup,
>which used some proprietary format. Nevermind that, the tape themselves
>have so many dropouts as to be useless anyway. Nevermind that, I forgot
>where I hid the tapes. Yep, I lost the backups. Oh well... Write-Only
>Memory is sooo wonderful.

This is way OT... but interesting none the less...  I've heard stories
about some rather interesting installs for people who... lets just say
they paint houses...  Basically... geographically redundant storage
systems (in different countries) that constantly replicate data to each
other...  and the 'disk arrays' are nothing more than about 2TB of fibre
channel attached ram drives.  The setups are highly secured physically..
and designed to cut power and loose everything at the first sign of
'trouble'.  Talk about your unique backup needs...  and you thought you
had it rough.  =]