Linux and DV cams?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Dec 6 16:19:00 EST 2004

On Dec 6, 2004, at 15:43, Mark Komarinski wrote:

> I bought a Canon ZR50(?) two years ago and went through your dilema
> then.
> It's a nice camera, and spouse-friendly.

What everybody else said... and most of the Canon's have a AD mode
which you should look for.  They have a different marketing name for it
each year (e.g. Digital Bridge) but it's a nice add-on, since a
dedicated AD converter runs you almost $150 while a nice new Canon
camcorder is sub-$300.

It's true about the motor whine, unfortunately.  If you're going for
quality, Panasonic has a 3CCD (1 each for RGB) camcorder in the
consumer price range now and then there are the real cameras for way
more money where you can put on real lenses and such.

Linux drivers are more important for unusual firewire cameras.  I'm
expecting my iSight tomorrow and the drivers for both the video and
audio over firewire are just recently available.  I think that's
because it's not DV.

-Bill
----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle