Linux and DV cams?

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Tue Dec 7 02:49:11 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 16:18, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2004, at 15:43, Mark Komarinski wrote:
>
> > I bought a Canon ZR50(?) two years ago and went through your dilema
> > then.
> > It's a nice camera, and spouse-friendly.
>
> What everybody else said...

Ditto the ditto...

I have had success with both command-line and GUI grabbers. I
particularly like dvgrab because it allows you to control your DV video
camera with keystrokes -- rewind, play, grab, etc. Kino is nice as well,
especially for the non-linear editing. For just grabbing dvgrab is
sweet.

There's also lots of command-line tools to allow you to transcode your
grabbed avis into mpegs or other formats. Just Google on "transcode" and
"Linux".

Your standard distro kernel may or may not come with ieee1394 support --
though I would imagine most would these days. If it does not, you can
find one that does, or you can try building one yourself by downloading
one from kernel.org. It's not hard to do at all. I've had trouble with
the 2.6.9 kernel finding the root drive for some reason, so you might
want to consider 2.6.8.1. (Btw, if anyone can give me some pointers on
the 2.6.9 issue I'd appreciate it. I just don't have the time to dilly
with it myself.)

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing