Wireless *switch*?

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Dec 7 11:24:00 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:14, Michael ODonnell wrote:
> My (very simple)
> net is arranged similarly to the one described by the OP:
>
>  cableModem -- firewall/NAT -- switch -- everythingElse
>
> ...and I'd been assuming that the wireless access point
> box could go on the everythingElse side of the switch,
> just as if I were adding a hub.

Apparently, it depends on your device.  I had naively assumed that just
about any device could be configured to do that as well.  Seemingly
not.  8)  With the device I have now, mine looks like this

DSL -- firewall/NAT -- switch -- wired ethernet boxes

                        WAP -- wireless devices

(hope the ASCII "art" comes through ok)

Where the WAP is doing NAT'ing and the wireless devices are on their own
subnet.  I guess the lesson is to research before purchasing.  8)

--
"Things are fine, the upcoming semester approaches like a brick wall
 and we're in a 1962 Corvair with no brakes."  - Paul Sand

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com