Wireless *switch*?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 11:15:01 EST 2004

I thought that at its simplest a wireless access point
could be thought of as just another switch or a hub, ie.
it just connects one or more Enet interfaces into a
network.  Everything else (bridging, routing, NATing,
DHCP, etc) should work the same for a wireless connection
as for a wired connection, yes?

I haven't yet added wireless to my home net but I hope
to soon, so this thread is of interest.  My (very simple)
net is arranged similarly to the one described by the OP:

 cableModem -- firewall/NAT -- switch -- everythingElse

...and I'd been assuming that the wireless access point
box could go on the everythingElse side of the switch,
just as if I were adding a hub.