Memory hogs XOrg, Mozilla & Evolution

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Sat Dec 11 13:14:01 EST 2004

Has anyone noticed or is having problems with Evolution or Mozilla
eating up megabytes of RAM after running for awhile? I typically leave
these apps running indefinitely, but they always seem to drink memory
after a few days. I have to shut them down *completely* to free up the
memory.

X too seems to like drinking memory. Currently I have X drinking 71m and
282m virt.

Is there a way to tune these application so that they are more memory
efficient? Or are we looking at possible heap fragmentation over time?
Any ideas? Are there any tools that can check memory fragmentation on a
live system? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has gotten the Mozilla calendar to work reliably with
WebDAV, some pointers there would also be valued. I would love nothing
more than to nuke Evolution and just use Mozilla for everything,
particularly if I can use WebDAV effectively to share scheduling
information.

System set up:
Fedora Core 2, multiple monitors (3), 512megs RAM P4 1.5Ghz, Mozilla
1.7.3, Evolution 1.4.6, KDE 3.3, Kernel 2.6.8.1 tuned for this
environment.
--
Fred Mitchell, HydraNuke.com
E-Commerce and Hosting Solutions