Memory hogs XOrg, Mozilla & Evolution

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Wed Dec 22 00:16:02 EST 2004

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, at 1:13pm, puissante at lrc.puissante.com wrote:
> Has anyone noticed or is having problems with Evolution or Mozilla eating
> up megabytes of RAM after running for awhile?

  Yes.

> X too seems to like drinking memory. Currently I have X drinking 71m and
> 282m virt.

  Be aware that most X implementations will map your video card's frame
buffer, and possibly all it's RAM, into address space, making X appear to
use a lot more RAM that it really is.

> Is there a way to tune these application so that they are more memory
> efficient?  Or are we looking at possible heap fragmentation over time?

  Pretty sure we're looking at malloc() without free() more so then actual
heap fragmentation.  In other words, memory leaks.

  I usually try to log out and back in again at least once every month or
two, just to make sure that any leftover stale processes and/or leaky
programs get cleaned up.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>