usbhdtv (from DMA SIG list)

Jeff Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 11 16:36:01 EST 2004

Appearsthe USBHDTV box records NTSC & ATSC in mpeg-2 format
(HW encoding).  HDTV is, according to the box, the native
hdtv stream (QAM for cable, OFSC for over the air - not
certain what the difference is, but the box says "Now
supports QAM in firmware). A check of debian packages
indicates xmovie supports hdtv and ATSC streams.  Note that
I haven't set it up yet (need some cables & time, plus
install the debian packages).

More as I set it up.

jeff

Russell Yeley said:
We can do a little more research and see what software can
do HDTV
I am more that willing to wait.

Russ

(http://www.usbhdtv.com/).
> According to them and the box I got Thu, it does both
> unecrypted QAM and the onair format. It connects to the
> computer via usb2.0.
>
> Be aware, I just received it (I actually got the box
> delivered as I was on the way out the door on a business
> trip), so I haven't actually used it, and don't know how
> linux compatible it truly is, but since I have a laptop,
> pcHDTV HD-3000 wouldn't work. I'll let the list know how
> it works after I get a chance to hook it up and play with
> it.
>
> jeff

I found a review at
and haven't found any evidence of any Linux support for
OnAir USB HDTV.
It records in a proprietary format and there doesn't seem
to be any way to
export to a standard format.

I'm still interested in a pcHDTV HD-3000 card, but not
until after Christmas.