I have a network problem with my hosts file :-(

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Sun Dec 12 21:36:00 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:19, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> =>
> =>BTW, dig would reference a DNS server, not a hosts file, AFAIK.
>
> This is interesting. I did not know this.
>
> Epilogue:
>
> I don't know why, but now it all works again. Obviously a sign from the
> multiverse telling me I need to move to the next plane of existence.

Just guessing, but it may have to do with the "options ndots" setting in
your /etc/resolv.conf file, which get overwritten frequently by your
dhcp client if you are running one.

Make sure it is set thus:

options ndots:0

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing