I have a network problem with my hosts file :-(

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Mon Dec 13 10:17:01 EST 2004

On Sunday, Dec 12th 2004 at 21:35 -0500, quoth Fred:

=>On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:19, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>...
=>> =>
=>> =>BTW, dig would reference a DNS server, not a hosts file, AFAIK.
=>>
=>> This is interesting. I did not know this.
=>>
=>> Epilogue:
=>>
=>> I don't know why, but now it all works again. Obviously a sign from the
=>> multiverse telling me I need to move to the next plane of existence.
=>
=>Just guessing, but it may have to do with the "options ndots" setting in
=>your /etc/resolv.conf file, which get overwritten frequently by your
=>dhcp client if you are running one.
=>
=>Make sure it is set thus:
=>
=>options ndots:0
=>

Wow! I never heard of that one before but it sounds like that *could* have
done it.

Thanks. So this is the 2nd thing I've learned about this problem. The
other is that dig or nslookup only goes through a dns server. Is there
such a thing that tells me how the resolver decides which szource it got
its answer from?

steveo at syslang.net