FSF looking for Sys Admin

Brian lists at karas.net
Thu Dec 16 08:39:00 EST 2004

>(Then again, not many programming jobs are five minutes away, have an
in-office mike and ike dispenser, a foosball table,
>and a MAME-based stand up arcade machine...)

Chris, you know I mean this with all due respect, but you need to get out
more.

The 5 minutes away part is always a variable, but the rest of the "perks"
are (IME) standard tech offerings.

Someone else seemed to think that a new laptop and cellphone, along with
benefits and vacation, were big "perks", IMO those are just the standard
offerings.

>Does anyone have any experience with hiring, such that they could tell me
how screwed I am if I ever leave my current job, >since I dropped out of
college to take it? At the moment, I'm quite happy, and planning on resuming
studies
>(although not full time) relatively soon to finish a degree, but if I were
to quit my job today and start looking,
> how difficult would it be to move into some IT or programming (mostly web)
position given a lack of degree?

As I've told you before, I think that you're giving up the ability to earn
more than you currently do.  Especially with all the women you have to
support ;)  I've known plenty of places that hire without a college degree.
Hell *I* have no college degree and I'm a hiring manager...  If you weren't
so hung up on the 5 minutes away part (and was willing to travel a bit) I
could probably make a spot for you on my team early next year...