FSF looking for Sys Admin

travis at scootz.net travis at scootz.net
Thu Dec 16 09:58:01 EST 2004

> The 5 minutes away part is always a variable, but the rest of the
> "perks" are (IME) standard tech offerings.

Totally, a mame cabinet, big woop. You're at work, you should be doing
work, not playing games. :) Actually at Burst we had a breakroom with a
fooseball table. That got locked when the shit started hitting the fan and
sales were in the toilet.

Living a 2min walk from work now I can say it is nice. Walk home for lunch
and all that. But we also have facilites in Marlborough and Somerville so
I have to travel to those now and then (I'm in Somerville today).

I make okay pay for what I do. Would I travel up to an hour for twice the
pay.. of course.

> Someone else seemed to think that a new laptop and cellphone, along with
> benefits and vacation, were big "perks", IMO those are just the standard
> offerings.

Not just standard offerings but they are required to do a sysadmin job
effectively. I have a work issued laptop and I get $100 towards my
personal cell phone a month. I actually like this better because it allows
me to not carry a second cell for personal stuff, or feel like I'm
mooching off my work cell phone for personal calls. It also lets me pick
the plan/phone I want. If you work for a decent smaller company getting
the time off you need usually isn't a problem (even more so with the extra
hours us sysadmins do). Benefits I really could care less about since my
wife is a teacher and I get great benefits from her job.

> As I've told you before, I think that you're giving up the ability to
> earn more than you currently do.  Especially with all the women you have
> to support ;)  I've known plenty of places that hire without a college
> degree. Hell *I* have no college degree and I'm a hiring manager...  If
> you weren't so hung up on the 5 minutes away part (and was willing to
> travel a bit) I could probably make a spot for you on my team early next
> year...

I agree, for what I know of Chris and what he does he could make a lot
more money. So you spend 30-40mins on the road to/from work. Big deal,
tons of people do it. You may spend less time with the ones you love, but
you can afford to get them a bigger place, a better car for you to commute
in, and can take better vacations.