Subversion (oh, and PHP5)

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Thu Dec 16 12:43:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:54, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> My biggest plus was the "ease of use" aspect: I've never successfully
> set up a CVS pserver with access from outside the machine, while with
> Subversion, it was pretty simple. (I'm not sure how hard it is in
> general, but Gentoo made installing it easy.)
>
> I don't have a lot of experience with anything in subversion or
> CVS beyond the "check in, check out, review history" aspects. The
> only thing that I care about is how much work I have to put into
> it to make it work, and that was pretty small with Subversion,
> where it didn't seem to be for CVS.

Hmmm....

I use CVS remotely across the Internet all the time -- in fact, it has
made it possible for me to develop anywhere I can drag my laptop as long
as I can connect back to the central server at home. You basically have
to send it across a transport such as ssh, which is the way I do it.

I actually found Subversion a pain to set up, requiring a web server as
a part of the setup, and stop bothering with it at that point. I
could've done it eventually, but as always I was pressed for time and
CVS was already working. But that was back when Subversion had only been
out for a few months.

Today Fedora has it pre-installed, and I'm sure many of the early
problems have been fixed by now, so I'm willing to give it another
whirl.

Another question, unrelated:

Is anyone using PHP5 in any serious mission-critical applications? I'm
very interested in switching to it -- but only if it is as stable as
PHP4. I don't want my client telling me he missed out on $20K in sales
because the server crashed.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing