Subversion (oh, and PHP5)

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Thu Dec 16 13:04:03 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:42:10PM -0500, Fred wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:54, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > My biggest plus was the "ease of use" aspect: I've never successfully
> > set up a CVS pserver with access from outside the machine, while with
> > Subversion, it was pretty simple. (I'm not sure how hard it is in
> > general, but Gentoo made installing it easy.)
> >
> > I don't have a lot of experience with anything in subversion or
> > CVS beyond the "check in, check out, review history" aspects. The
> > only thing that I care about is how much work I have to put into
> > it to make it work, and that was pretty small with Subversion,
> > where it didn't seem to be for CVS.
>
> Hmmm....
>
> I use CVS remotely across the Internet all the time -- in fact, it has
> made it possible for me to develop anywhere I can drag my laptop as long
> as I can connect back to the central server at home. You basically have
> to send it across a transport such as ssh, which is the way I do it.

In my few cases, I was working in a situation where either I couldn't
have SSH access to the machine or I didn't really have the desire
to create a user on my own machine. (Generating a new entry in an htpass
file seems to allow a lot less access than an SSH account by default.)

> I actually found Subversion a pain to set up, requiring a web server as
> a part of the setup, and stop bothering with it at that point. I
> could've done it eventually, but as always I was pressed for time and
> CVS was already working. But that was back when Subversion had only been
> out for a few months.

I had Apache2 installed, which is part of the reason it was so trivial
to me. There is a standalone server now, although I have no idea how well
(or not well) it works.

> Today Fedora has it pre-installed, and I'm sure many of the early
> problems have been fixed by now, so I'm willing to give it another
> whirl.
>
> Another question, unrelated:
>
> Is anyone using PHP5 in any serious mission-critical applications? I'm
> very interested in switching to it -- but only if it is as stable as
> PHP4. I don't want my client telling me he missed out on $20K in sales
> because the server crashed.

I've seen reports of really odd, trivial things still causing crashing
in PHP5 up until about 2 months ago. I wouldn't trust it in production
yet, based on what I've seen from it.

However, I know some pretty big sites that use it without problems as
well, I'm just wary of it still at this point.

--
Christopher Schmidt