Subversion (oh, and PHP5)

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Thu Dec 16 14:33:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 13:19, Drew Van Zandt wrote:
> Not sure if you'd call this a "serious mission-critical" application,
> but http://returntothepit.com/ switched to PHP5 recently, with only
> one minor speedbump, and all seems to be working just fine.  160GB of
> transfer used per month,  more stats:
>
> (all are monthly averages)
> Hits per Hour 	     25299
> Hits per Day 	     607196
> Files per Day 	     494546
> Pages per Day 	   158045
> Visits per Day        7108
> KBytes per Day 	   4993214
>
> That's serious enough for me.  ;-)  As for mission-criticality, I and
> my friend get inundated with hundreds of complaints if it so much as
> hiccups for 5 minutes.  That makes it mission-critical to me.  :-)

Sounds good, but I think I'll tread cautiously. At least I should play
with it on one of my test servers.

The other question I have is can it run reasonably written PHP4 code
unmodified? I seem to recall there's a few possible gotchas.

> There's also another minor site (about 1/10 the traffic) on the same
> server, also using PHP5 extensively.  No one even noticed the change,
> except for a slight speedup.

I guess that answers my question.

> The speedbump on moving to PHP5 was that it had extended logging on by
> default, and we quickly had a couple of 12 GB log files.

Ouch.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
The mass of humans on planet Earth -- regard them as the ebbing