Subversion (oh, and PHP5)

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Thu Dec 16 14:37:00 EST 2004

>Is anyone using PHP5 in any serious mission-critical applications? I'm
>very interested in switching to it -- but only if it is as stable as
>PHP4. I don't want my client telling me he missed out on $20K in sales
>because the server crashed.

If you want to use PHP5, you might want to get a copy of George
Schlossnagle's book Advanced PHP Programming.  I'm on chapter 16, and it
is a good read.  The book uses PHP5 examples throughout, and covers both
the object-oriented improvements and the XML enhancements.

The project just released some major security patches, along with many
bugfixes (http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php#5.0.3).  To me this means
they might be finally getting closer to the point where you would want
to use it in 'mission critical' environments.  Still, I'm wary of the
'bleeding edge' because if you implemented it before now, you've
definitely had to deal with some issues.

All that being said, there are several projects around that use php5,
that could be good testbeds to explore.  (Search Sourceforge.net for
php5)  One particular project caught my eye: phpAwStats
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpawstats/> allows you to store your
AwStats data in a database and customize reporting.

--
FREePHILE
We are 'Open' for Business