Free XML tools?

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Thu Dec 16 18:44:01 EST 2004

Ted Roche wrote:

> So, what are recommended for good Free (as in Freedom) XML editors?
> What kinds of capabilities do they have? I've been using Stylus
> Studio, and the ability to develop XSLT via GUI drag-and-drop matching
> is pretty cool. Also, being able to debug the XSLT "live" as it parses
> is powerful. Are there similar tools for FOSS? Linux, Mac and Windows
> are my main platforms...

Quanta+ has good support for any DTD you want to load, and an XSLT
debugger, but I can't vouch for how well those work only because I've
been dealing with non-validated XML without XSLT.  In other words, I use
Quanta+ as a PHP/HTML/JS/CSS/XML editor and it really as nice features.
On the XML side, I've just been using my own tagset and processing it
with PHP before generating XHTML.

My main gripe with Quanta+ is that it is tied to KDE.  That is not so
bad, except that the pace of change is such that the latest version
(both KDE and Quanta+) are not available in Debian (even though I'm
using Sarge) unless I want to compile it myself.  I have time to run
synaptic to get my Sarge up to date (no pun or insult to RedHat
intended), but I don't have time to compile KDE just so I can get the
latest features out of my editor.

All in all, the developers of Q+ are great, and the list is very active
so if you have time to get the latest, you could be very happy with it.

Besides Quanta, I've been meaning to evaluate Eclipse, which I believe
can do just about anything.