Looking for a good portable linux system

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Mon Dec 20 10:30:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 09:50, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> Bruce Dawson <jbd at codemeta.com> writes:
> > Essentially, I want one processor to handle a request while the other
> > processor is "busy". If Linux and hyperthreading can do that, then a
> > hyperthreading CPU would be fine. Context switching is an issue on this
> > traveling workstation - there will be some realtime visuals that must
> > not "blip" when a (for instance) cron job starts - especially when
> > slocate starts.
> Would it be more cost-effective/prudent to use a standard single-CPU
> laptop?  When you start your realtime visual you could simply disable
> cron.  You could audit any "at" jobs beforehand as well, as well as
> write a script to kill off any already running cron jobs.  Etc.

No. This can't be a dedicated-task system. Also, the app uses things
like cron and sendmail to exchange survey data with a satellite - which
unfortunately needs to be done via email.

I was just using slocate as an example to give people an idea of what
I'm up against without having to describe the entire app.

Last winter we tried using an intermediary system to handle the
satellite, but whenever the satellite connection glitched, things got
out of sync. And the data sets are too large to transfer over an 802.11b
connection before the merged survey data underruns the visuals.

--Bruce