Advantages of 64-bitness for LAMP applications?

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Thu Dec 23 08:22:00 EST 2004

I have a fundamental question on the advantages of 64-bit CPU systems
for current Linux-Apache-MySQL/PostGreSQL-PHP/Perl/Python applications.
Is there a price/performance advantage, and if so, where are the
benefits?

Most of the  work I've been doing is fairly low-traffic data-driven web
sites or direct access to a database server. Do the 64-processors
provide any advantages in these situations, or should I just stick with
32-bit processors? I can see where a 64-bit machine might have
advantages in heavy number crunching or ray-tracing, or in other
high-performance situations where the software's been tuned for it, but
that's not where I'm concentrating.

Comments welcomed.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC