port forwarding help!

jsf jfreeman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 20:15:01 EST 2004

Hey all,

I have a WRTG54 Wireless Router.

I'm using dyndns to create a human memorable URL for the IP address
assigned by my cable ISP.

I've set up port forwarding on the router for port 22 (forwarded to
the IP address assigned to my laptop) and tested it by sshing OUT to
my server in Boston (I'm in Westchester County, NY) and then from
there, sshing back to my laptop.. it works fine.

FTP works fine (though I'm not a fan of FTP and have since turned it off.)...

Where I'm having problems is port 80!... No matter what I try, on the
router or on the laptop, I cannot seem to get requests to port 80
forwarded, by the router, to the laptop.

They just sort of freeze at the router.  I see the hits in the router
log.. but I can't figure out whether:

a) they're being held at the router or
b) forwarded by the router but stopped by the laptop.

I'm out of ideas and could use some help.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS, etc.!

cheers,

Joshua