port forwarding help!

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Fri Dec 24 21:21:01 EST 2004

On Dec 24, 2004, at 8:14 PM, jsf wrote:

> Where I'm having problems is port 80!... No matter what I try, on the
> router or on the laptop, I cannot seem to get requests to port 80
> forwarded, by the router, to the laptop.
>
> They just sort of freeze at the router.  I see the hits in the router
> log.. but I can't figure out whether:
>
> a) they're being held at the router or
> b) forwarded by the router but stopped by the laptop.

The router itself listens for port 80 on at least one interface, for
management.  Which firmware are you using, linksys, ewrt, openwrt,
sveasoft?  Can you ssh to the router and look at netstat and iptables?

I'd assign the laptop the router's IP address and remove the router to
figure out whether it can respond on port 80 - if you can telnet to
port 80 on the router's IP from your server in Boston you'll at least
know that your laptop is OK.

-Bill