Using External USB Drive for Linux Installation

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Dec 30 13:07:01 EST 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 11:44 AM, Bruce Dawson wrote:

> I haven't found a "fast" external USB hard drive.

No magic here, but I'm using a case I got from NewEgg called a Metal
Gear Box Substance (passive cooling) with a Prolific bridge, IIRC, and
a 7200 RPM IDE drive and it's fast enough for DV capture.  I haven't
benched it beyond that but slow drives typically can't keep up with DV.

I have a 4-port Adaptec PCI USB2 controller I got from CompUSA for
about $40.

-Bill
-----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle