OT - just saw the IBM Superbowl commercial

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Feb 3 21:15:30 EST 2004

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, at 7:46pm, mfearer at mail.fearernet.com wrote:
> 20 years after the Apple commercial (big brother), I was just pleasantly
> surprised to have been watching the Superbowl and caught the IBM
> commercial promoting linux with Mohammed Ali. To quote the late, Great
> One, "Mmmm, how sweet it is!"

  IMNSHO, the current IBM Linux commercials (the one with "the kid") are
really lousy.  After watching them, one has no idea what IBM is even pushing
-- Linux, or boxing, or TV's, or what.  One certainly has no idea what Linux
is in even the vaguest sense.  I've had several "mundanes" ask me to explain
the commercials to them.

  While they do seem to be getting people to wonder about Linux, they're
only in the context of "What the heck is IBM smoking?", which really doesn't
help much.  FOSS isn't something you introduce in a 30 second sound byte.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>