OT - just saw the IBM Superbowl commercial

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Feb 3 21:57:21 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 09:15:30PM -0500, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
>   While they do seem to be getting people to wonder about Linux, they're
> only in the context of "What the heck is IBM smoking?", which really doesn't
> help much.  FOSS isn't something you introduce in a 30 second sound byte.

Which, I think, is exactly why they're not trying to.  If you already
understand what Linux is, you get the ad.  If you don't, there's not
much they can do in a 30-sec. TV spot to solve that.  Their target
audience is not the average Superbowl home viewer, but the geeks and
the managers who make IT-related decisions -- the people who will
likely want IBM's services.  I haven't seen the ad, but based on that
I suspect they're well targeted.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/