GNHLUG list archives (was: Unable to reach any GNHLUG link)

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Wed Feb 4 13:33:16 EST 2004

> On 4 Feb 2004, at 9:50am, kclark at cetaceannetworks.com wrote:
> > Why are the archives no longer publicly accessible?

> > "The current archive is only available to the list members.")
>
>   That was somebody's quick-and-easy solution to the problem of email
> address harvesting.  Given the time demands on the people maintaining
> GNHLUG's public resources, quick-and-easy counts for a *lot*.
>
>   I'm not pleased with it as a long-term solution, myself.  I firmly believe
> the list archives should be open and publicly searchable.  (The discussions
> on the list can prove to be a valuable technical resource for others trying
> to locate information.)  Long-term, I would prefer a more sophisticated
> spam-guard solution.

I'm not pleased with this either.  In fact, I recently encountered a
technical problem, did some searching, and lo-and-behold! -- the
answer to my question appeared on this very list.  The fact that the
archives aren't available anymore makes this whole list a lot less
useful.

> But beggars can't be choosers.  :-)

I recently sent a script to this list that took care of the task of
obfuscating email addresses.  I have also heard other people mention
on this list that MailMan can take care of this.  I strongly recommend
that the maintainers of the archive consider these two avenues.

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)