piercing corporate FW outbound

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Sat Feb 7 16:36:33 EST 2004

I sent the first message to a friend of mine at Nortel, he does support
for their huge client's routers.. Anyway, here's what he had to say:

--- Start Message ---

They are forcing his connection through a Nortel VPN box, which has it's
own firewall rules on what to allow and not to allow.

As far as Apani, they make a 3rd party client for our VPN box.

As far as linux support... my linux firewall/router is transparent to
anything related to the client, since kernel 2.4

I bring my laptop home, plug it into a hub...
Start accessing the internet, through my linux firewall/masq box.
Start the Nortel client, and I'm in my work network with no issues.
I didn't even have to configure anything on my firewall.
Linux IPmasq does all the work for me.

Basically he's complaining about his company's firewall rules on the
Nortel
VPN box.  It has nothing to do with the Apani client or Nortel.
But his company's policies.

--- End Message ---

If anybody would like specifics then please let me know and I can get
more information about his setup.