Samba related question.

Ed Lawson elawson at laconialaw.com
Wed Feb 11 12:21:36 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:51:49 -0500
"Andrew W. Gaunt" <quantum at lucent.com> wrote:

> Just to cut to the chase, it looks as thought you would
> could make things better by setting the linux box up
> as a DNS server that serves a local domain

That would be the rational way, but this person has zero experience with
Linux and telling him, "OK, now we are going to set up a DNS" might put
him over the edge.  OTOH, I suspect we could spend no small amount of
time klutzing around with half baked solutions.  I would like to know
how the Windows boxes on my network know the name of my Linux box
running Samba with no DNS or host files beyond the one on the router.
I just ran a test and it isn't getting that info via DHCP.  One of the
windows boxes is a dual boot machine when booted under Linux it cannot
ping the Samba server by name, but can when booted under Windows.

Ed Lawson