Network/Server monitoring.

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Mon Feb 16 14:36:41 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Travis Roy wrote:
> I would like to switch to something linux based. I'm installing Nagios
> right now on my home server to tinker with it and see how it compairs. I
> was just wondering what people on the list have tried and what they would
> suggest I take a look at.

Nagios is nice... but man it can get complex.  I scrapped it because it
was just too much of a pain to get it running just right.

> I need it to not only monitor servers by ping, but also services on the
> machine, as well as CPU/Memory usage (via SNMP most likely) and routers
> and switches (also via SNMP).

I scrapped it in favor of big brother - very simple, very easy.  There's a
few nice addons that can be found at deadcat.net.  The other thing I did
was replace MRTG with Avalon.  This is far and away the easiest and nicest
program I've found like this yet.  And it's free..

http://www.bb4.com
http://www.deadcat.net
http://freshmeat.net/projects/percival

--

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.