Desktop Linux (fwd)

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Feb 26 08:58:57 EST 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 07:35:29AM -0500, Travis Roy wrote:
> >>I'm not saying a commercial software package can't work for Linux,
> >>but in the past it hasn't for many Linux game companies,
> >
> >The only company I know of who falls into that category is Loki, and
> >as I mentioned elsewhere, they failed because the managment gutted the
> >company, not because they weren't selling titles...
>
> Corel and Wordperfect also made commercial software for Linux.

Lots of people make commercial software for Linux.  We were talking
about game companies specifically.  You said, "...it hasn't for many
Linux game companies..."  That was what I was responding to.

FWIW, Wordperfect was a Corel product, and Microsoft gave them lots of
money to stop distributing their Linux software.  Microsoft's interest
here is obvious: eliminate a competitor with a cross-platform
replacement for their cash cow.  I don't know that Corel's office
suite really would have ever threatened Microsoft Office, but now
we'll never find out...

> >So then, why are you here?  Just to try to bring the rest of us down?
>
> To get help with my Linux problems, and to help others with their Linux
> problems if I have the answer.

Fair enough.  But my impression is that you often have a lot of
negative things to say about Linux, almost whenever the opportunity
arises to say them.  I'm not suggesting that Linux is perfect, or that
everyone who participates on this list should be totally gung-ho about
it.  But your posts often lead one to wonder why you're using it at
all...

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/