Outlook express smtp auth against linux

brian lists at karas.net
Thu Jan 22 15:43:31 EST 2004

In my experience, you have to allow login or plain AUTH with lookout.

Most default setups in Sendmail tend to prefer CRAM and/or DIGEST MD5.

The SSL thing is completely different.  The problem comes down to
LookOut sucks and doesn't support any modern secure login mechanisms
(lets see a show of hands for all those surprised)

This URL might be handy (not sure if it's up-to-date):

http://www.dantor.com/support/mail/smtpauth/

I went through the same thing when setting up SMTP auth last month.
Worked great for me (Evolution) and all the LookOut users couldn't send
mail, even with the proper account settings plugged in.

HTH...

--
brian <brian at karas.net>