Outlook express smtp auth against linux

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Thu Jan 22 15:55:21 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 15:43, brian wrote:
> In my experience, you have to allow login or plain AUTH with lookout.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised they would use login AUTH - the least
documented method I found.  There's not a standard or an RFC so far as I
can tell.  8)

Although, I do already support plain AUTH - it's all I'm supporting at
the moment.

> Most default setups in Sendmail tend to prefer CRAM and/or DIGEST MD5.

Yeah, thankfully I'm using exim which makes any of them equally
easy/difficult to set up.  I'd like to avoid the MD5 versions simply
because they require the password to be stored in a retrievable manner
on the server.

> The SSL thing is completely different.  The problem comes down to
> LookOut sucks and doesn't support any modern secure login mechanisms
> (lets see a show of hands for all those surprised)

Well, the good news is that it appears to be doing the tls correctly so
far as I can tell.  I haven't put a sniffer on the line, but I do see OE
issue the STARTTLS command to exim, and exim accepts the encryption.

> This URL might be handy (not sure if it's up-to-date):
>
> http://www.dantor.com/support/mail/smtpauth/

Thanks - I'll check it out.

> I went through the same thing when setting up SMTP auth last month.
> Worked great for me (Evolution) and all the LookOut users couldn't send
> mail, even with the proper account settings plugged in.
>
> HTH...

I wouldn't say it helped so much as depressed me... *grin*  Thanks for
the response though.

--
So, make a real effort to avoid getting sucked into all the expensive
lifestyle habits of typical Americans.  Because if you do that, then

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc
colet at code-energy.com