Gigabit Ethernet cards?

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Jun 10 11:50:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:57:38AM -0400, Mark Komarinski wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:44:03AM -0400, Cole Tuininga wrote:
> >
> > I've had decent luck with a couple different e1000 based cards, but
> > they've mostly been integrated with the motherboard.  In any case, the
> > 2.4 e1000 driver has never failed to work for me at both 100Mb and
> > Gigabit.
>
> What he said.  We're been using e1000-based cards built into the
> motherboard and as PCI cards without any problems.

A bit topical, as I'm installing a few new 4-way Xeon boxes.

There's also the Broadcom (tg3) devices which seem to work okay.
Newer IBM servers are coming with them instead of the e1000.

Unless you're planning on using kickstart.  See, the chipset (or
driver) doesn't negotiate the interface until you ifconfig it.  In
the case of kickstart (with DHCP) the DHCP request packet
goes out before the Ethernet link speed is negotiated, so the
request packet never goes out.  Once you get past that and get
the OS installed, you're set, even if you use DHCP for configuration.
I've seen this on a number of desktops.

But I'm installing Debian on these boxes, so it's kinda irrelevant.

-Mark