Recommendations for VPN end point appliances?

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Tue Jun 15 16:18:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 09:38, Hewitt Tech wrote:
> These will be the last Linksys VPN boxes I buy based on my experience trying
> to configure them. It took me a couple of hours just to get the two boxes to
> talk to each other. They have remained connected for 24 hours or so but the
> setup was very painful. Worse, they don't speak the same VPN protocols that
> Windows expects and configuring a Windows system to talk to them is even
> more convoluted. None of the documentation you need to set these end points
> up comes with them so you need to find the setup info on Google or at the
> Linksys web site. They may have solved some of their stability problems with
> the latest firmware but it looks like these products have been out there for
> more than a year. The Windows <-> BEFSX41 connection setup runs to 19 pages!

Well, just to voice the other side, we've had a BEFSR81 at the house
acting as the exterior firewall, and we've had absolutely no problems
with it (other than having to upgrade the firmware). We have had far
more problems with the Comcast Motorola Cybersurfer modem (which has
since been replaced by an RCA).

Carole is able to punch her tunnel through it to HP without any
problems. And IMHO, the setup was a breeze.

Are you having problems with just the IPSec features of the box?

--Bruce