Recommendations for VPN end point appliances?

Hewitt Tech hewitt_tech at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 21:48:01 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Dawson" <jbd at codemeta.com>
To: <discuss at gnhlug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: Recommendations for VPN end point appliances?
On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 09:38, Hewitt Tech wrote:

> These will be the last Linksys VPN boxes I buy based on my experience
trying

> to configure them. It took me a couple of hours just to get the two boxes

> talk to each other. They have remained connected for 24 hours or so but
the

> setup was very painful. Worse, they don't speak the same VPN protocols
that

> Windows expects and configuring a Windows system to talk to them is even

> more convoluted. None of the documentation you need to set these end
points

> up comes with them so you need to find the setup info on Google or at the

> Linksys web site. They may have solved some of their stability problems
with

> the latest firmware but it looks like these products have been out there
for

> more than a year. The Windows <-> BEFSX41 connection setup runs to 19
pages!

Well, just to voice the other side, we've had a BEFSR81 at the house

acting as the exterior firewall, and we've had absolutely no problems

with it (other than having to upgrade the firmware). We have had far

more problems with the Comcast Motorola Cybersurfer modem (which has

since been replaced by an RCA).

Carole is able to punch her tunnel through it to HP without any

problems. And IMHO, the setup was a breeze.

Are you having problems with just the IPSec features of the box?

--Bruce

I have used a number of other Linksys products including the BEFSR81. Except
for minor anomalies, they work reasonably well. It's the IPsec settings on
the VPN end point models that are a pain to configure.

-Alex