Desktop apps

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Wed Mar 3 21:39:44 EST 2004

Derek Martin wrote:
 > We've been talking a lot about Linux on the desktop these days.  I'm
 > curious about what applications people find to be lacking on Linux.

A decent file comparison and merge tool.  The best I've found on Linux
is Kompare.  I would love to see Kompare do what Araxis Merge can
do....visual diffs down to the character with excellent accuracy.  In
fact, I don't know why there aren't other Windows diff tools that can do
this.  Araxis Merge seems to be the only one that can 'see between the
lines' so to speak.  Kompare also gets flaky with large files (10,000
lines) whereas I've never had a problem with Araxis.  Araxis can open
multiple compares, each in its own 'tab' (a feature that many editors on
linux can do, so why does Kompare open a whole new window for each
comparison.  Araxis can do a three-way comparison.  Kompare (unlike most
linux apps) tends to sigsev often.  The directory comparison is more
like a playlist than a directory comparison...it just queues a bunch of
files to be compared one pair at a time.  Araxis lets you visually look
at the difference between projectA and projectB because you can see the
whole directory structure side-by-side color-coded to show the
differences.  You "click-through" to see a detailed comparison, which
opens in a diffent window so that you still have your directory
comparison handy.  Araxis lets you edit directly in the comparison
panes, in addition to applying changes from pane to pane, so that you
can not only merge differences, but even edit code while you're at it.
Araxis Merge costs around $200, and I've often been tempted to pay for
it, but it would be isolated to my one Windows XP machine, whereas I use
many Linux machines and Kompare is always available.

A good CD burner
So far, I've found XCDRoast to be the best.  I used XCDRoast today in
fact, and it has powerful features, but the GUI leaves a lot to be
desired.  And it wouldn't copy a music CD on the fly. (At least it
allowed me to delete the music tracks easily when I was done, and it
recognized the music tracks when it was time to burn them.)  Something
that looked like Nero would be good.

If you want to copy some files off your hard-drive onto a CD, then you
have to choose a button from the main menu which says 'Create a CD'
(obvious enough), but then you get a screen where you should choose gray
button #5 labeled 'Master Tracks' in order to choose what files you wish
to burn.  Not very obvious.  From the technical point of view, AFTER
you're familiar with the program, sure it makes sense, but from an
ordinary user viewpoint?  I, myself, had to click around to figure it
out.  [If you want to understand how a regular user might think, I had a
conversation with someone today who said they 'understood computers
enough to get around' but had no concept of where the Internet was, and
why you couldn't just open Outlook Express on any computer and get your
email--and I mean without entering any information about an account--as
if it should be like turning on the TV to channel 2 and that's where PBS
is.]

On the plus side, I'm happy to see the improvements being made all the
time in terms of fonts, and GUIs, and rapid releases of new versions.
Looking at the screenshots of the GIMP 2 beta, I'm very excited.

-Greg