Desktop apps

Kevin D. Clark kclark at CetaceanNetworks.com
Thu Mar 4 09:55:13 EST 2004

Brian Chabot writes:

> Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> > Greg Rundlett writes:
>
> >>A decent file comparison and merge tool.
> > FYI: I use "ediff" mode under emacs for this all the time and I am
>
> > very happy with this tool.  This mode handles directory trees and
> > three-way merges as well.  And, if I have to massage the code a tiny
> > bit after applying a diff, I can just resort to using the emacs
> > commands that I know very well at this point.
>
> Aunt Tillie says she can't understand Emacs.

I'm pretty sure that Aunt Tillie has never needed a file comparison
and merge tool either, so your comment is completely bogus.

> Seriously, though it works great, this is not a tool for the
> masses. Kate sure, Kwrite yup.  OOWriter, of course, but not Emacs.

If you need a file editor, I recommend Emacs or XEmacs.  These have
tons of documentation, menu-support, features, and are rock solid.  I
wouldn't hesitate to get a new user started with these editors.

If you need a WYSIWYG word processor, I dunno, OpenOffice might suit
you.  I use this program occasionally, it seems nice.

Regards,

--kevin
--
Kevin D. Clark / Cetacean Networks / Portsmouth, N.H. (USA)
cetaceannetworks.com!kclark (GnuPG ID: B280F24E)