Desktop apps

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Thu Mar 4 09:37:59 EST 2004

> How about a nice, universal package manager? Not Alien, but something
> more userfriendly.   Something that will automatically figure out
> recursive layers of dependencies, search all kinds of archives for them,
> and do it all automagically (with just user confirmation...)

I think a nice friendly interface is more important. I use apt-get for RH9
and I love it. Works the same way as apt-get for Debian. The user really
doesn't care about how the stuff is packaged, they just want to get say,
Mozilla without having to go searching for every other RPM under the sun to
install it.. I just apt-get what I need, and it takes care of the rest. I
know why Debian users love this tool.