Desktop apps

p.lussier at comcast.net p.lussier at comcast.net
Sat Mar 6 23:55:13 EST 2004

In a message dated: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 23:00:25 EST
Greg Rundlett said:

>Regarding emacs...I once looked at Emacs, and it seemed to speak a
>different language than I do.  I'll have to look at it again.

If all you do is "look at it", then you will likely come to the same
conclusion again.

Install XEmacs, then run the tutorial.  Use the tutorial for even
just 15 minutes.  This isn't "reading documentation", it's actually
using (X)Emacs to edit the actual tutorial you're going through.

The tutorial explains the basics of using Emacs as an editor.  Within
5 minutes, you've already learned a tremendous amount about how to
use Emacs effectively.  I just jumped into the tutorial and within 30
seconds learned something I had previously either not known, or
completely forgotten :)

Don't think of learning Emacs as a monumental chore, rather, think of
it as an constant incremental investment.  There is no more powerful
editor. You may like or dislike Emacs for whatever reasons, but you
can't argue that it doesn't do something :) (heck, I just discovered
emacs-wiki mode yesterday, and already like it better than any other
wiki tool I've played with :)
--

Seeya,
Paul