Desktop apps

Erik Price erikprice at mac.com
Sun Mar 7 10:46:25 EST 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 11:55 PM, p.lussier at comcast.net wrote:

> Install XEmacs, then run the tutorial.  Use the tutorial for even
> just 15 minutes.  This isn't "reading documentation", it's actually
> using (X)Emacs to edit the actual tutorial you're going through.
>
> The tutorial explains the basics of using Emacs as an editor.  Within
> 5 minutes, you've already learned a tremendous amount about how to
> use Emacs effectively.  I just jumped into the tutorial and within 30
> seconds learned something I had previously either not known, or
> completely forgotten :)

Seconded.  For a time when I was in college (mid-90s) I didn't have a
computer so I basically -had- to use my unix account for more than just
email and usenet (via the vt100 terminals they had all over campus).  I
took a look at vi and emacs, but after reading the brief built-in emacs
tutorial, I knew enough about how to do basic tasks that I was able
comfortably move around within a file and write my papers.

I still know less than 1% of the total things you can know about emacs
(now that I have a computer again, I use Eclipse/WSAD for all my
development), but to this day, but I still find it useful when I have
to ssh into a machine somewhere.

Plus, the basic navigation shortcuts work in all Cocoa-based MacOSX
applications' text areas, so now I never even use my Mac's arrow keys
anymore.

Erik