best ISP in north country?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Thu Mar 11 19:48:01 EST 2004

ksandre wrote:
> FCG/Cyberportal.  (Originally in Claremont, 1996.)
>
> http://www.fcgnetworks.net
>
> We have used their services since 1996.  The only reason we do not use MVCom
> is because they did not offer a local access number in our area at the time
> dialup ISP service first became available here [Central NH].
> FCG/Cyberportal was the first (well, actually LR.net was, but they went down
> fast).  MVCom was actually  our *first* email and internet connection,
> albeit toll-cost-intensive during times preceding 1996 absent options other
> than FIDONet, and we liked them alot.  (They still offer a plain shell
> account too last I checked.)  I think the cost comparison between FCG and MV
> are similiar, though there may be more options offered by MV.  There are a
> few Linux users who work at FCG too, though support for Linux/UNIX is not
> immediately obvious.

I had good experiences with them some years ago. It was dial-up then and
I had a Linux box acting as a router for a small office. The dial-up was
kept up 8 hours a day, all week with nary a drop. Only problem I had was
billing issues. Took FCG 6 months to terminate the account when they
switched to another provider (broadband). I have to admit, I'm not sure
how much of that problem was the then office manager at my client and
maybe not FCG.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272