List Archive (Was: Re: p2p, anonymity and security)

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Mar 11 22:01:00 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:01:48PM -0500, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, at 1:04am, invalid at pizzashack.org wrote:
> >> (and this is a wholely public forum).
> >
> > I disagree there, also.
>
>   Derek: *GET OVER THIS*.

Thank you, but no.

I agree that the nature of this specific list is much more public than
private, but I will maintain that the requirement to sign up in order
to participate makes it a closed, i.e.  semi-private, list.  There's a
reason why most mailing lists are closed lists these days: to keep the
rifraf (i.e.  the spammers) out.  This behavior is exactly analogous
to private clubs which require membership, as I have argued before.
Many private clubs will pretty much let anyone join, but they require
membership so that they know who they're dealing with (and probably
also to hit them up for money every so often).

I also harp on this point to squash the idea that all mailing lists
are and must be public.  It's simply not true, but many people seem to
feel that way.

> If you don't like this, my opinion is that you should fscking
> unsubscribe.

I do not currently object to anything about the way the list is being
run (though I would prefer that the archives were available, but with
e-mail addresses removed).  If I did, I would (as I always do) ask
that it be changed, and if that failed, I assure you I would do as you
suggest.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 12:45:45PM -0500, Travis Roy wrote:
> >limited to those who are signed up.  This list happens to also archive
> >the messages, but a) not in their original form, and b) this does not
> >need to be the case.
>
> Actually, you have no idea what other people on the list are doing with
> regards to the list. For a time I posted a public archive of another
> list that I belonged to (because the list didn't have it's own archive).

A private club which has one or more members who videotape its
proceedings, and subsequently post them on the Internet, is still a
private club.  Your personal archival of the ensuing events on a
public network makes no difference...  Though it's possible that some
of the members may want to hunt you down for violating their privacy,
depending on the situation.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/