List Archive (Was: Re: p2p, anonymity and security)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Mar 12 11:28:01 EST 2004

Kenneth E. Lussier wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 07:19, Travis Roy wrote:
>
>>>Then I suggest you look at the archives of some mailing list software
>>>mailing lists...  The idea is often brought up there, for the very
>>>same reasons I brought them up here (originally).  Personally, I find
>>>the notion that I should be required to provide personally identifying
>>>information to the whole world in order to participate in a public
>>>forum to be offensive, and contrary to the priciples by which the
>>>United States of America was founded.  It does not need to be, and
>>>should not be so.  That so few people value their 4th amendment right
>>>to privacy is a travesty.
>>
>>If that is true, perhaps you shouldn't have your webpage address in
>>your sig:
>>
>>[dslv-1-175:~] travis% whois pizzashack.org
>>
> However, I think that the posting of the whois information was not only
> unnecessary, but completely inappropriate to the discussion.

How so? Derek is worried about people getting his email address and
various other information when he posts to this list. Yet, he includes
his domain in his sig. With that information you can do a whois on him
and not only get his email addres, but his phone number and address as
well. If he was really that worried about his privacy he wouldn't
include that information.

As for actually posting the whois information I figured it was more
dramatic rather then just explaining this.