List Archive (Was: Re: p2p, anonymity and security)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Fri Mar 12 11:38:00 EST 2004

On 12 Mar 2004, at 11:01am, klussier at sentito.com wrote:
> I have stayed out of this until now, as I don't really care all that much
> about the public or private status of the GNHLUG list.

  If the majority of our membership wanted to come up with some kind of
entrance requirement, I would facilitate that.  Personally, I would find it
very unfortunate, as I think the list should be as open as possible, but if
most people want restrictions, then okay, I will help.

  My major objection is Derek's repeated assertions that this list is
somehow private or restricted.  I honestly cannot see how he came to his
conclusion, as this list has *never* been that, by intent or in fact.
Again, GNHLUG does not even *have* an official status, charter, or
membership criteria.  (Personally, I think we should, but that's another
topic.)  Given the total *lack* of such, calling GNHLUG a "private club" is
nothing short of ridiculous.

> I actually thought that it was a closed list to keep RMS from posting
> rants about how it should be called GNHG/LUG ;-)

  Hah!

> However, I think that the posting of the whois information was not only
> unnecessary, but completely inappropriate to the discussion.

  I believe the point was to demonstrate that the personal privacy Derek
keeps asserting is being violated is already non-existent, by his own
actions, and completely independently of this list.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>