Gallery question

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Mar 15 14:02:00 EST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, at 10:49am, greg at freephile.com wrote:
> 'safe_mode' can only be set in the php.ini file.  If you don't have direct
> access to this file (you won't in a shared hosting environment), then you
> can't use Gallery.

  You can bypass this by installing a local copy of PHP under your home
directory, and invoking it as a CGI program, rather then an embedded Apache
module.

  Note that I'm not saying this is a good idea.... :-)

> 'safe_mode' puts too many limitations on the environment according to the
> Gallery team.

  Sure.  Heck, why not just run the web server as "root", and with a blank
password, while you're at it?  Why bother with security, it just gets in the
way....

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>