Gallery question

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Mon Mar 15 14:18:01 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 13:47, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> > 'safe_mode' puts too many limitations on the environment according to the
> > Gallery team.
>
>   Sure.  Heck, why not just run the web server as "root", and with a blank
> password, while you're at it?  Why bother with security, it just gets in the
> way....

I don't think they're claiming that the safe mode limitations are "too
secure" in general principle.  They're just saying that the limitations
are "too secure" to do the things that they are trying to do.  I suspect
it is related to the launching of external programs such as the netpbm
or ImageMagick stuff, but I don't know that that is the specific reason.

--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
- Albert Einstein

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc