Upgrading Multiple Servers?

Kurth Bemis kurth at usaexpress.net
Sun May 9 21:17:01 EDT 2004

We have several servers, (OK lots of servers) that we use for hosting
websites, mail servers, firewalls, and billing and provisioning.

It's a real pain to ssh to each of the boxen and repeat the same process
again and again to upgrade apache,php,mod_perl,mod_ssl, system files, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tool that will allow me to create one
"master" machine or image that can then be duplicated to the other
machines, so that all the machines are exact copies of each other.

The config and users files are on separate partitions then the binaries
so that's not an issue.

The solution needs to scalable, as we are adding machines every other
week it seems.

Any ideas?
~kurth