Upgrading Multiple Servers?

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Sun May 9 22:15:01 EDT 2004

Kurth Bemis wrote:

>  We have several servers, (OK lots of servers) that we use for hosting
>  websites, mail servers, firewalls, and billing and provisioning.
>
>  It's a real pain to ssh to each of the boxen and repeat the same
>  process again and again to upgrade apache,php,mod_perl,mod_ssl,
>  system files, etc.
>
>  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tool that will allow me to create
>  one "master" machine or image that can then be duplicated to the
>  other machines, so that all the machines are exact copies of each
>  other.
>
>  The config and users files are on separate partitions then the
>  binaries so that's not an issue.
>
>  The solution needs to scalable, as we are adding machines every other
>  week it seems.
>
>  Any ideas?

Not what you asked for, but this is what we do. (In our case, most of the
systems are not exactly the same, but share common programs.)

We use Mandrake. We use URPMI and a few cron jobs
to distribute updates to our clients and our in-house systems.

This doesn't help if you are not using a package manager or are not
installing updates to already installed packages, of course.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-624-7272